Sunday, September 16, 2007

Fear the Ducks!

It is football season again. I get the most excited over my alma mater, the Oregon Ducks. When someone would make fun of the fact that our team mascot was a “duck”, I would inform them that we weren’t just ducks. We are Mighty Fighting Ducks! I give you two observations to prove my point.

1. This year, so far, we are 3 – 0. The first game we beat the Houston Cougars (more on that later). The second game we trounced Michigan in the Big House. And now we have just beaten the Fresno State Bulldogs.

2. Our mascot has always been the Disney duck. Years ago, Oregon got permission from Walt Disney himself to use Donald as our animal representative. Every decade or so there is a push to change the mascot to something more formidable. After all, Donald doesn’t strike fear into the opposition the way Cougars or Trojans or Bears do. A couple of years ago, in an effort to look tougher, Donald started doing push-ups at football games. Every time we would score, Donald would go out onto the field and count off the total amount of points on the scoreboard. I’ve seen some high scoring games where Donald had to do a lot of push-ups.

In our first game against the Houston Cougars this year, Donald noticed that their Cougar mascot was doing the same thing. Every time they would score, he would go out onto the field and do push-ups. Hey! Donald does the push-ups! Not some goofy guy in a cat suit. See what happened next:




Donald got suspended for unnecessary roughness. I wonder if they check mascots for steriods? This looks like 'roid rage to me.

4 comments:

Shadraq said...

That is HILARIOUS! My team (Auburn Tigers) isn't doing as hot this year...

Nadine said...

This was one of your most amusing posts.

Jen(n) said...

oh my...

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it, I just watched this for about the 20th time and it still makes me LOL! me