Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Noble Paths

As I have thought about it, I have found that there are two main types of noble paths that we undertake. For simplicity sake, I categorize them simply as the “do” path and the “know’ path. Of course, both have their roots in our Christian faith. “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” “Know the truth and the truth shall set you free.” These two paths are certainly intertwined. To ignore one path while we pursue the other, I believe is a shortsighted endeavor that will doom us to mediocrity.

The reason I started thinking about it was a recent visit by a favorite niece. She attended a conference in our town that was dedicated to motivating the people in her profession to pursue goals beyond themselves, to engage the public sector, volunteering their time and skills for the betterment of government and society. Fresh from the conference she was bubbling with excitement and challenged to go forward and serve. I thought about my own experience and remembered when I was her age, how I thought nothing of serving on several boards and commissions in my community. But over the years I realized that I changed. I started changing my priority from physical effort to spiritual effort. Oh, I still look to do, but I have found the power of seeking to know.

Years ago, when hard economic times hit my town, and builders’ homes stopped selling I served on a panel that met with representatives of the Governor’s office and several Federal housing agencies to help mitigate the issues that were plaguing the housing market. I know we did some good. Homes started selling again. This year amid a similar housing slump I spent quite a bit of time visiting empty houses that my clients had built and praying that God would somehow bring the buyers for them. In the midst of a bunch of unsold homes, the houses I visited and prayed for ended up selling. And when the builders discovered what I was praying over their houses, they were surprised that a bank Senior VP was investing spiritual effort on their behalf. I know now that it wasn’t about the houses selling as much as it was about the builders knowing that God was willing to intervene on all our behalves.

I remain an ardent admirer of people with the energy and enthusiasm to pursue the “do” path. But I have become sold out to the “know” path. I have a greater realization that God loves it when we pursue Him. He wants us to realize that He is ready and willing and able to intervene on our behalf. Jesus said several times that it was good that he went away because He was sending His Helper, the Holy Spirit who would interact with us on a constant basis. He loves to bless us and help us with everything that we bring to him. And most of all He loves it when we acknowledge (know) it is Him and we seek to know Him even more. And what I am learning is that the more about Him we know, the easier it is to do.

2 comments:

Strider said...

Excellent post my friend...for it is God who works in us both to will and to do according to His good pleasure! Take care my friend.

Anonymous said...

Hi David! Kevin tipped me to your blog - your references to me and our visit are so sweet. I must say, that I could not agree more with you. In fact, I often find myself in the middle of a struggle between "doing it myself" and "letting go and letting God." Letting God do it is much more satisfying and less exhausting. That, and God is always more capable than I. On the other hand, we are also encouraged to be of service to others and therefore make ourselves available to God to help in His work. In fact, Jesus encourages us to do so selflessly. I find this to be a high bar, probably because my life is tipped so far into the selfless column due to my family life that it often pains me to go further. I could go on and on about this. Your blog entry is reassuring on this point. Much love and grace, Heather (who loves being your favorite niece!)