Saturday, September 27, 2008

Ten Years After

It was ten years ago. I was handed an important role in our bank, that of Community Reinvestment Act officer. The Community Reinvestment Act was a federal program that was birthed under the Carter Administration. In essence, the Federal Government’s feeling was that if they are providing banks with FDIC insurance, insuring all of our deposits then we owe them the proof that we are lending on homes in all neighborhoods in our cities, not just the best ones.

When Clinton became President, he took the CRA to a whole new level, measuring our performance in 4 distinct levels and announcing that if we failed their standards our applications to build new branches would not be approved.

The concept and concern were well founded. I hired a team of bright Hispanic people and we scoured our branch system to be sure we were finding every way possible to prudently make loans to low or moderate income families. We had some success but in Eastern Washington, our opportunities were not as great as they were for lenders in say, Chicago or Los Angeles.

Eight months after I inherited the job, the next FDIC audit came and we were examined for our results. At the exit interview, the examiners took me, my crew, the bank, and our whole Board of Directors to task for not doing enough. I was the one with the big target on my back. The young FDIC auditors were not impressed with our explanations that we really had a problem with making home loans to people who were not credit worthy. If we wanted to grow our bank with new branches we would figure out a way, just like some of our competitors were doing.

After the very contentious meeting, the lead examiner and I met privately and he gave me his best advice on how to improve our CRA performance level. We talked for about an hour and then he reached into his briefcase and opened up a confidential file for me to see. He said there was a model institution that they had just examined that got an excellent CRA rating. If I could get our bank to emulate them and adopt similar programs to lower our benchmarks for loan approval, we would also get an excellent rating. He opened up the file and showed me the facts and information on their model institution, Washington Mutual.

With the closing of Washington Mutual’s doors on Friday, they established another new record; that of being the largest bank to ever fail. The failure was directly related to record defaults in their huge mortgage portfolio.

I would like to find that FDIC examiner for another conversation.

6 comments:

OrangRecneps said...

I think I now understand why the Government is so anxious to bail these banks out. Assuming that your anecdote is true across the board, that means the government more or less forced the banks to make bad loans by threatening their ability to grow. If the government doesn't bail them out, industries will be less likely to capitulate in the future.

Don't get me wrong, I don't feel one ounce of sadness for the banks. Sound business practices are sound business practices. I'm getting tired of MegaCorps sacrificing the long term for a quick buck. Any business that doesn't make smart decisions should, nay, must fail. It makes no difference how big they are. Failures make smarter people, both the consumer, and the business. Perhaps, people will start asking the bank to show them what percentage of loans they have in bad credit situations before they open an account.

Strider said...

Wow. But just think...you, too, could have looked good on paper and be out of a job now! Great post. Thanks for sharing it.

Lavinia said...

Very interesting post. I was referred by Inagarden1.blogspot.

I had no idea things like this were happening. I am up in Canada...I think our banking system is different.

Very good of you to post this eye-opening information. Thanks!

a woman who is said...

For some reason my comment last night got lost. I probably didn't hit the right button. I so enjoyed your post. I have linked you from my blog. I hope that is okay? Your post is very timely and informative. It has helped me to better understand some of what all has been going on and why.

I do hope your dear wife is feeling better...I am sending prayers her way.

Knitting Mania said...

I was so enlighted with this post, I was referred by "In a Garden".

Why am not surprised to learn this...that's why I'm against the bail out!!!!! Let it run it's course and let the chips fall where they may! If they just put a band aid on this (bail out) it's just a matter of time before this false line of credit runs out too!

Oh Lord, let us continue to trust in you and you alone!!!

nanatrish said...

I'm here by way of In A Garden. Wow. What an interesting post. You have lived it and it must be very spooky for you. I believe the Lord is going to take us through all this and He will make a way for us. What an exciting time to be living! I will be back. I like your way of thinking!!